CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Trying to go back...

I am trying to get us back to our healthier habits. When Allie was little, I was on top of what she ate all of the time. She probably never had syrup before she was 2, and even then it was rare. We never had cookies in the house, except for the rare occasion. I used whole wheat flour in a lot of recipes, all we ate was whole wheat pasta, her snack choices consisted of teddy grahams, yogurt, fruit, string cheese or fruit snacks, just for example. For breakfast she ate whole wheat waffles sprinkles with cinnamon usually with fruit. My family used to tease me about lightening up, because having things like donuts and ice cream were getting "treats". Allie does not even like soda (thankfully!) and even requested splash juice (V8 Splash) at her 4th birthday party while everyone around her was drinking soda. After having Emily, obviously I would go for things what were easier, more convienent and less expensive. But really that's no excuse. I want Allie and Emily to understand the difference between healthy foods and "junk". I remind Allie of these foods, especially when she has a tummy ache or if she has trouble going potty. She immediately says, oh no, my belly hurts, I need more fruits and veggies...I must of had too much junk! We went food shopping yesterday, and stocked up on our healthier options. Today Allie had salad for lunch and was so proud when she almost finished it, then she told me she felt so healthy. I want Emily to just see the way we eat (even though my eating habits are worse than Allie's) and understand that junk food just is a "treat" for maybe birthday parties or holidays, like it used to be in our house. It is definitely harder in NJ, when we are not in our home, and Allie can see others eat certain things that I wouldn't normally bring into the house and wants them too. We definitely are going back to the way we were eating when we started this family!

0 comments: